xslt tutorial - what is xslt
what is xslt ?
xslt, the extensible stylesheet language for transformation.it provides a flexible, powerful language for transforming xml document into xhtml document or to other xml document.
some quick point about the xslt language.
- xslt stands for extensible stylesheet language transformations.
- xslt provides a flexible, powerful document transforming facility.
- xslt transforms an xml document into another xhtml/xml document.
- xslt is a declarative and functional language.
- xslt has a special namespace of tags, usually indicated by xsl:
- xslt is an official recommendation of the word wide web consortium(w3c).
an xslt document is a well-formed xml document. an xslt document consists of a number of element/tags/attributes.these can be xsl elements or elements from another language(such as html).the xslt document look like same as a xml document.
xslt is the most important part of xsl. xsl transformations(xslt 2.0) is a language for transforming xml documents into other xml documents , text documents or html documents.
a transformation can take in one of three locations:
- on the server.
- on the client(your browser).
- with a standalone program.
xslt is used in two common situations.
- to convert from xml into a presentation-specific format, such as html.
- to convert from the format understood by one application into the structure required by another.this is particularly common when exchanging data between different organizations.
xslt and xpath
xpath is a simple language for identifying parts of an xml document that are of interest.
xpath is used by xslt language.
xpath cannot be used stand-alone and it more powerful .
if you want to study xpath read our xpathtutorial.